Tuesday 15 February 2011

When the green person shows...

The traffic lights here in Antofagasta deserve a post all of their own.

In part this is because the green person moves! It walks, and then runs, to demonstrate the length of time it takes to get across the road!!! Very fun to watch! Note to self, when watching the lights with the intention of crossing, it is worth also remembering to cross the road when the green person suggests that it is safe to do so. Note to self 2. Not all traffic will obey the signals.

These traffic lights are also worth noting because of this morning's other exploit...flyer-ing cars as they waited at the traffic lights. A deft hand and speedy feet can cover 4 cars in the space of a red light - an average of 12 people!

I wafted our fliers through open windows, thrusting them into the hands of drivers and passengers alike with the immortal words 'Dios te Bendiger' which means God Bless You. (Only once was I berated for not coming from Chile - everyone else took pity or else understood my speedy communications.)

This was incredible fun.

It must be said that I was concerned when the local police drove passed, but this was my own cultural imprinting into this beautiful context. My colleague merely shouted through the window and fly-ered them too. (I, however, clutched my passport and hoped not to be deported for attempting to speak Chilean).


.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment