Thursday 17 January 2013

Destruction

Img00213-20130116-1413

I have spent two days seeing and hearing about the destruction that war causes. It has taken a great deal of spiritual energy just to listen to the personal stories. The physical evidence is all around - these piles of wrecked vehicles, bombed or shelled in the final weeks, all represent the deaths of sons or daughters, limbs mutilated, children traumatised. In Kilinochi I have been listening to women who have lost children and husbands, some who still do not know if their men are dead or held by the government. One woman walks miles to labour in the fields for less than £2 a day and at home looks after five children, her parents and a sick husband. She gave up a day's work to come and talk to us. People are moved that the British Methodists care enough to send someone to hear the story first hand and through my tears I have promised your prayers. But we must do more. The number of traumatised children, who no one knows how to help, is distressing. Many families have no house and their villages have no water. People need to find ways to make a living. Children need schools. Their government must do more but we as faith groups must do more too. I am glad we have a Buddhist in our small group. For myself, I need time to weep and pray for the people I have met today. . Steve 17.1

No comments:

Post a Comment