Monday 23 April 2012

Beauty

Dsc02511

I am on my way from Myanmar to China, feeling that I have left behind a very beautiful place.

Myanmar is certainly a place of contrasts – great wealth and unforgivable poverty;

Inspiring creativity and implacable obstructions; smiling joy and still-faced sadness.

But I travel on with that sense of beauty, not just these orchids and the smiles and hospitality that are so widespread but also a depth of spirituality in this country and a growing sense of hope.

As I spoke in Wesley Church, Mandalay yesterday, there was a really vibrant response to our people-to-people priorities, a real enthusiasm for exchanges of ideas and theologies with the outside world.

Despite the hiccup in the Parliament today over ‘protecting’ or ‘respecting’ the constitution in the oath to be taken by new members, there is a new atmosphere and I hope we in Britain are able to respond with real friendship and not just have eyes for a lucrative new investment and marketing opportunity.

The invitation to the Methodist Church in Britain has certainly now been made.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment